Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Work-Life Balance

I reckon that this is what every employee wants while in their working life.

8:30 am to 5:30 pm or 9 am to 6 pm.
Leave office sharp after work.
Go partying with your gang for happy hour till 9 pm.

This is of course the idealist kinda way to explain our work-life balance, ain't it?

But for family man like me, work-life balance could be different. Or should I say, is there work-life balance?

8:30 am to 5:30 pm or 9 am to 6 pm (no choice - bcos have to feed few mouths in the family)
Leave office sharp after work (also no choice)
Instead of go partying, we go back home to start our life (work) balance once again, eg. taking care of the kiddos, washing (which bound to have something to wash), cleaning.

For me, work-life balance doesn't mean that you have to go partying after work for happy-hour. Even though the 2nd example which I gave above is also part of work-life balance. Just that it seems to be a continuation of "work" in a different sense.

For a family man or woman, with kids especially, life is the fulfillment of our duty towards our children. Seeing them taken care of. Eaten well. Sleeping soundly. Live healthily.

That is "life" despite the fact that we "work" our arse through the night after 6pm, and not having the spare time to spend for partying with our friends.

Hmmm... hopefully when my kids grow up, my wifey and I will have more time to ourselves, so that we can go partying with our joints making loads of cracking sounds... hahaha

No comments: