Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How To Truly Win Your Battle

This is truly a very inspiring story that is written. Many a times when we are faced with obstacles, sadness, or even sickness, we will keep focusing on "Why Me?" rather than believing that we will win the battle in the end, no matter what situation we are in.

How To Truly Win Your Battle

By: Rebecca Watson

My kind-hearted cousin, Julia Middleton, fought cancer for seven years, fifty chemo treatments, alternative medicines, and tons of hospital bills. Not once did she ever complain—not even a whimper.

Remarkably, she didn’t focus on “Why me?” but rather thanked God for the opportunity to demonstrate His will through her struggle and consistent hope. While her friends and family knew that eventually she would lose her battle to cancer, she instead believed that no matter her situation, she would always “win” the battle in the end because of her strong faith in a loving God and eternal Heaven.

The night before she passed away last week, a huge group of friends and Choir members from her church gathered to serenade her. Although she could not see (she had lost her eyesight and could hardly sit up in a chair), she whispered her last words, “Yah! Fantastic.” Her supportive husband Middy wept in her lap.

I heard a story, below, that reminds me of beautiful Julia. I’m grateful for the permanent impact that her positive attitude has had on my own perspective about living with a joyful heart.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

“Well,” she said. “I think I’ll braid my hair today.” So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror, and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

“Hmm,” she said. “I think I’ll part my hair down the middle today.” So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror, and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

“Ha,” she said. “Today I’m going to wear my hair in a pony tail.” So she did and she had a super fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror, and noticed that there wasn’t a single hair on her head.

“YEA!” she exclaimed. “I don’t have to fix my hair today!”


Ask yourself, "What have I learned from Julia?". Are you still going to focus on "Why Me?" when you wake up one morning to find that you have only 3 pieces of hair on your head? Or are you going to be you own "Julia"?

1 comment:

Ai-Ling said...

An inspiring post indeed. Happy New Year to you, Daniel:)