Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What Does Merdeka Day Mean To You?








Traveling down memory lane and pondering the Merdeka Days that I had been through these few, many years, it has been like a blink of the eyes that our country has been independent for 50 glorious years.

Malaysia has developed and advanced since its colonial period. From an agricultural state to an advanced metropolitan with the latest technology.

But. Have you asked yourselves, what does Merdeka Day mean to you?

Is it merely a day where everyone comes out of their 'hiding' and 'celebrate' and 'cheer'?









Or does it merely mean flying of the Jalur Gemilang?

(pls keep in mind that the photo are for illustration purpose only)






I still remember the Merdaka Days that I 'celebrated' while I was still in the school bench. It only means a rest day for me. No need to go to school. No homework. ...yeah!!!...
(mind you... too young to understand the meaning of independence then...)

I bet that all the youngsters nowadays do not appreciate the hardship that our leaders, past and present, have done to fight for the independence of our country. They will not understand the sacrifices of our arm force in fighting for our country.

Our country's leaders have done a good work to maintain peace among the many/multi races here in Malaysia. But yet, the people nowadays will do anything to cause racial discomfort, spreading rumours about racial clashes, disagreement, etc...


Our country has come so far. Though only merely a 50 years. However, do you wish for your children to live in a peaceful country, and see the next 50th anniversary of our country's independence?

We might not be around by then, or we might be too old to witness it. But I hope that my children will be able to witness it, and appreciate the independence of our country through the peaceful living of many different ethnic and background.

3 comments:

sharlydia said...

I was born in Malaysia and have grown up here. I must say...I probably enjoy Merdeka as a holiday a lot more when i was still a kid, but no longer as much for now...

There has been peace in the country not totally & fully due to the hardwork of our leaders, but the very compromising non-Malay pple here!

My kids? Well I wish I can quickly earn & save enough money so we can all migrate to another country, whether it's Australia, Singapore, US, wherever...Coz I want my kids to grow up enjoying the "equality" & not being penalised for certain thing simply bcoz we are non-bumi...

Daniel said...

Thanks for dropping by Sharlydia..

zewt said...

i guess we all have our own definition of merdeka. one thing for sure... it's certainly not those mentioned in the newspaper...