Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival is Around the Corner


This year, the Mid Autumn Festival falls on the 25th September and it’s just a couple of weeks away. Have you eaten any moon cake?

I have… In fact, I am a moon cake lover. Crazy about them. So you can guess where all the moon cakes that my mom bought went to last time… ha ha
Still remember those moon cakes I ate when I was still a boy. There were only a handful of taste and flavour, like the ‘tao sar’ and the ‘lyn yong’ (lotus paste). You can also have the moon cakes with egg yolk and at times you’ll get the moon cakes with ‘kua chi’.

On the auspicious day (I mean night) itself, we’ll light up those paper lanterns and brothers, sisters, friends will gather around and play together. Sometimes we’ll go for a long, long walk with our friends taking along our lanterns.

But, now things have since changed…

Don’t get me wrong here… Of course you still get to eat moon cakes nowadays. But the moon cakes have ‘evolved’ so much that new and innovative flavours have been created. Even the packing has changed. I know it’s to meet the all-demanding of people’s taste and demand.

One thing that has changed drastically is the lantern itself. Youngsters nowadays will not understand the beauty of a lantern being lit by candle. What do they get now?
Of course, they get the battery operated lanterns. With musics…
So, you’ll ask where do the candles go??

I bet I’ll see many households being lit up with battery operated lanterns again this year.

Do you know the story behind the Mid Autumn Festival?
You can find many versions of it. And if you were to ask your grandma or mom, be assure that you’ll find more version. Anyway, you can read about this festival here.

No comments: