Thursday, October 18, 2007

What Should Be My Baby’s Name?

Baby Friends and relatives have been asking me what name I am gonna give my newborn baby. Have been putting some thoughts into this “Naming My Baby” topic.

There are many names that seem to be a bit too common, like David, Jason, Steven (sorry to all Davids, Jasons and Stevens.. Ur names are used bcos they just happen to popped up in my mind… hehehe)

So I asked myself, “…then, what name I am gonna give my child?”. Not too common name? Like? How about Snow White, Cinderella, Amidalla if my baby is a girl,star-wars.jpg or Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi if my baby is a boy.. hahahaha ;p (ok, just kidding there). Of course I’ll not name my child Obi Wan Kenobi, Cinderella or any characters in the Star Wars, or any other fairy tales.

But would anyone name their children with a name when the name is called out, it sounds funny? Have you heard of anyone with a name like this? I have.

I had a fried in my primary school who is called Michael (a very famous name when I was still schooling). But problem appeared when our teacher was taking attendance.

Teacher: Mahendran?

Mahendran: Yes…

Teacher: Michael Tan?

And before Michael can response, the whole class burst into laughter. It sounded as though our teacher is asking my dear friend to “sell egg”. (Michael Tan would sound like ‘mai-kai-tan’ if you are a Cantonese). Now I understand why Mahendran hated Michael so much… hahahaha.

There was another time during my secondary school when my friend told me about. It happened during one of those Monday assembly. The headmaster announced that there was a schoolboy who has been caught for theft by the Discipline teacher. And this boy is to be caned publicly. But when the headmaster called out the boy’s name, the whole school was laughing its lungs out. Guess what’s the boy’s name… CCB (if u understand what it means) hahaha

names.jpgI am not gonna name my child something like CCB, man… hahaha. Not even ‘Kang Kong’ too hahaha…

What name will you give your children? Mine to share? nice, beautiful and funny ones too…

2 Responses to “What Should Be My Baby’s Name?”

  1. 04 Oct 2007 at 9:25 am mumsgather

    My little girl says she wants to name her baby “Ice-cream.” *pengsan*

    Psst. if your wife is planning to breastfeed, you can ask her to check out my Mothering Times blog . I’ve got lots of resources and sharing of experience there. Ahem I hope you don’t mind my *self advertisement*


  2. 04 Oct 2007 at 9:31 am Daniel

    hahaha… thanks very much to visit… thanks

No comments: